Relaxation Massage, also known as Swedish massage; is a system of long strokes, kneading, friction, tapping, percussion, vibration and shaking motions that apply pressure between muscles and bones.
A Relaxation/Swedish massage feels good, it is relaxing and invigorating. The main approach is to increase the oxygen flow in the blood and release toxins from the muscles, shortening the recovery time from muscular strain. It increases circulation without increased heart load, stretches ligaments and tendons and soothes the nervous system reducing stress, both emotional and physical and is suggested as part of a regular program for stress management.
Techniques used in relaxation massage are:
- Effleurage: gliding strokes with the palms, thumbs and/or fingertips.
- Petrissage: kneading movements with the hands, thumbs and/or fingertips.
- Friction: circular pressures with the palms of hands, thumbs and/or fingertips.
- Vibration: oscillatory movements that shake or vibrate the body.
- Percussion: brisk hacking or tapping.
- Passive and active movements: bending and stretching.